Proposal: Determining whether a Bits instance is FiniteBits

Oleg Grenrus oleg.grenrus at iki.fi
Thu May 27 17:44:51 UTC 2021

I don't think this as good idea, as that definition doesn't work with GND.

    {-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes, GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving,
ConstrainedClassMethods #-}

    import Data.Bits
    import Data.Word

    class Bits a => Bits' a where
        withFiniteBits :: Bits a => a -> (FiniteBits a => r) -> r -> r

    instance Bits' Word8 where
        withFiniteBits _ x _ = x

    newtype W = W Word8 deriving (Eq, Show, Bits, Bits', FiniteBits)

fails with

Bi.hs:12:47: error:
    • Couldn't match type ‘Word8’ with ‘W’
        arising from the coercion of the method ‘withFiniteBits’
          from type ‘forall r.
                     Bits Word8 =>
                     Word8 -> (FiniteBits Word8 => r) -> r -> r’
            to type ‘forall r. Bits W => W -> (FiniteBits W => r) -> r -> r’
    • When deriving the instance for (Bits' W)

12 | newtype W = W Word8 deriving (Eq, Show, Bits, Bits', FiniteBits)

Note, FiniteBits has nominal role, so cannot be coerced to FiniteBits W.

If CLC decides this is still fine, then I'd suggest to not have
any migration period as adding method is breaking change for GND users,
so rather break everyone at once, maybe even by moving bitSizeMaybe out
of the class.

- Oleg