Question about withMVar

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 14:01:06 UTC 2021

It's pointing out that it's possible that after it takes the MVar some
other thread could put the MVar. That could cause it to block, or could
violate assumptions about how the MVar value changes. The basic rule is
that whenever you're using an MVar you need all the threads to agree to
some particular discipline. Most commonly, and best supported by the API,
is "take, then put". However, there are other patterns, the most important
of which is probably "put once", used to communicate thread completion.