Proposal: Add atomic IORef operations to Data.IORef

Alexey Kuleshevich alexey at kuleshevi.ch
Fri Jan 15 20:18:58 UTC 2021

Both of these functions are lazy with respect to the new value being written into the IORef, which is a horrible default for atomic operations. That is why atomicModifyIORef is a source of memory leaks and terrible performance, which is also why atomicModifyIORef' is almost always used instead.

So +1 from me on adding strict versions of these functions that force new value to whnf, but -1 for adding these lazy versions as they are currently defined in GHC.IORef

Alexey.