Adding partial foldl1' to Foldable?

George Wilson george at wils.online
Mon Jan 11 09:07:22 UTC 2021

I am sympathetic to the completeness argument, but I would prefer that
we not add more partial functions to base. Having foldl1 and foldr1 in
Foldable in the first place is something I consider a wart. Hopefully
we can remove them in the future.
Would it make sense to omit foldl1/foldr1/foldl1'/foldr1' entirely
from your explanation? Then it would be future-proofed against such
removal :)

Cheers,
George