can/should Functor have a quantified coercible constraint?

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Mon Jan 4 14:40:58 UTC 2021

I talked to Carter a bit on IRC for my progress on that front, but I
thought maybe this would be a good time to mention this more widely

- The constraint side is iffy. Local constraints and constraint kinds
make it hard to have some sort of codata guardedness / cotermination
checking argument for higher order coercion "instances" that doesn't
also need to apply to the constraint system at large, which makes it
quite laborious to increase expressive power without trade-offs like no
local quantified constraints. (Yay mission creep.)

- The core side looks good. Cale and I pretty confident in the
"coercions as fixed points of products", with {0, 1, multiplication, and
exponentiation, limits} passing my cardinality sniff test that coercions
still have no computational content and thus can be erased.

- Additionally, I am less but decently confident (though I haven't
talked to Cale about this) that the existing role admissibility solver
can be repurposed to produce those (to-be-erased) terms rather than just
merely deciding the admissibility of (opaque) axiomatic coercions. This
change would have no expressive power implications one way or the other,
but complete the "theory refactor" so that the "sans-nth" version could
be said to work end to end.

So tl;dr I /can't/ actually do anything to help Carter's problem at the
moment, but I think I can get David's
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/276 over the finish
line, with the side benefit of loosening things up and getting us closer
so the higher-order roles problem seems less out of reach.

I have revised my "progress report" wildly since I started thinking
about these things, but with the latest ratchet back, I think I finally
have a stable prediction.

Cheers,

John