Can't upload a package named "oath" to Hackage

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Dec 9 09:47:41 UTC 2021

Looks like there is no policy yet for name reservation/squatting on
hackage but I think something is needed.  There are some questions we
should answer.  As usual, such questions were irrelevant in the pioneer
days but are gaining importance as the community grows:

1. Is name reservation a thing that should be allowed?
    If yes it would have to be open to everyone, not just to an elite.
    Currently, if you want to become a hackage "uploader", you have to
have a reasonable package, not just a name you want to reserve.

2. When do reserved names expire?
    A reasonable time span would be say 1-3 years.
    After that, continued reservation should only be granted exceptionally.
    Connected to this question is:  When are dead packages removed from
hackage?  When is a package dead?
    A dead package squats a name in the same way as a reservation.

3. Who decides on name disputes?
    Are the hackage trustees the arbitration panel?
    What is the process for solving a dispute?

I think the package names on hackage are like brands or domain names in
business.  These are the only non-duplicable resource; source code and
its hosting can always be duplicated (granted an open-source license).
In larger societies where not everyone knows everyone, common resources
need some government.

Cheers,
Andreas