Diagonalization/ dupe for monads and tuples?

Emily Pillmore emilypi at cohomolo.gy
Thu Sep 17 01:08:35 UTC 2020

@Asad that's a perfectly reasonable way to think about diagonal operations: as the data of a cartesian monoidal category, and the laws are correct in this case. I think we can get away with the additional abstraction to `Biapplicative` in this case, though.

> wouldn't the existence of appropriate `forall a. a -> t a a` and `forall
> a. x -> Unit t` functions pigeonhole it into being "the" cartesian
> monoidal structure on `->` (and thus naturally isomorphic to `(,)`)?

Only if you chose that particular unit and that particular arrow. But there are other places where having a general `Biapplicative` contraint would make it useful. For example,  i'd like to use this in `smash` with `diag :: a → Smash a a`, defining the adjoining of a point to `a` and creating a diagonal in the subcategory of pointed spaces in Hask, so that I don't have to redefine this as `diag' = quotSmash . view _CanIso . diag . Just`.

Cheers,

Emily