New Libraries Proposal process

amindfv at mailbox.org amindfv at mailbox.org
Sat Sep 12 23:25:52 UTC 2020

I'd like to +1 everything said here, and say as an observer it's strange to have the decision made privately and announced here as a fait accompli.

Another thing to note about email is that it's decentralized and has (and presumably always will have) plenty of clients and tools. I've seen discussions linking to email conversations that are significantly older than GitHub itself - there's value to archives of old discussions. If GitHub folds or starts charging money or redesigns its site in an unhelpful way, all discussion would be lost or made less accessible. Whereas mailing list archives can jump to new hosts indefinitely.

Tom