Fractional precedences? Re: Operator precedence help

John Cotton Ericson John.Ericson at Obsidian.Systems
Wed Sep 2 22:29:36 UTC 2020

I definitely prefer this approach. I do not like absolutely levels,
whether natural numbers or fractional. At the end of the day, that's all
order-maintance for a *global* total preorder, and such a design will
always result in unforeseeable interactions between
independently-developed operators, not to mention increasingly
ludicrously-precise fractions.

This may sound like low-priority design pedantry, but I suspect
(probably because I myself was taught with scheme) that
spooky-action-at-a-distance precedence greatly harms beginning
programmers, causing confusion or at least delaying the understanding
that expressions are arbitrarily deep trees.

John