Min & Max without Bounded

Jon Purdy evincarofautumn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:57:21 UTC 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 1:33 PM Hécate <hecate at glitchbra.in> wrote:

> I invite you to read the source of this module, which may provide some
> context for the current situation:
>

> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.14.0.0/docs/src/Data.Functor.Utils.html#%23

Thanks! That is useful context. I was aware that this had been considered
as a possibility, but having coincidentally run into it multiple times
recently, I figured I’d propose it in earnest. Since there are two
reasonable ways to define these, I would prefer to have both available.
There’s an analogous situation, albeit not for the same reasons afaik, with
‘First’ and ‘Last’ from ‘Data.Semigroup’ (without ‘Maybe’) and
‘Data.Monoid’ (with ‘Maybe’). I wonder if that’s considered a good example
to follow (i.e. adding ‘Data.Monoid.{Max,Min}’) or more an unfortunate side
effect of how ‘semigroups’ was integrated into ‘base’.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 1:58 PM Oleg Grenrus <oleg.grenrus at iki.fi> wrote:

> Aren't Min and Max sufficient by themselves:

> (Just (Min {getMin = 1}),Just (Max {getMax = 10}))

That’s a good point, and also a suitable alternative, thank you. I guess
the main question is whether anyone thinks it important enough to add a
separate type to provide different instances than this, for example ‘Ord’
as I mentioned. If not, I’m satisfied to use this or my own definitions.

(More likely the latter, if anyone’s curious, since I also have parallel
types for lower & upper bounds, where ‘Nothing’ is a zero rather than a
unit.)