catch instance Foldable ((, ) a) (Was: What Haskell users are actively maintaining or deving software using ghc <8)

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:59:22 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 29. Mai 2020 um 16:35 Uhr schrieb Zemyla <zemyla at gmail.com>:

> I am opposed to all the hate on Foldable ((,) a). For one thing, it's the
> parent of the perfectly good Traversable ((,) a) instance. [...]

Please don't restart the epic discussion on this issue. For quite a lot of
people there is *nothing* good at all regarding the FTP instances for
tuples, and their slightly stealthy way into the base library happened only
after this was widely recognized. So a compromise is to let the instances
live and provide a way to disallow them for your own code.