What Haskell users are actively maintaining or deving software using ghc <8

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed May 27 20:08:23 UTC 2020

When it’s super easy to support a wide ghc range I totally support it!

That said , there are absolutely compiler bugs that are terrible in older
ghc.  Eg in 7.6, 7.8, and 7.10.1 and 7.10.2 (fixed in 7.10.3), there’s a
really nasty bug in the register allocator that mixed up float and double.
Though I can’t find the ticket atm.

One point I realized / articulated recently is that supporting pre ghc 8.0
makes it difficult to change public data  types without breaking all
current users.  Which is something pattern synonyms supports very well (I
dislike how it interacts with coverage checking, but that’s a whole bother
ball of wax. )

There’s often a very real cost to supporting ever widening ranges that
cover larger and large range of versions and dialects and bug workarounds.
 5 years ago supporting just the three most recent ghc major versions was
considered amazing. To be fair, it’s way easier to do meticulous ci across
a whole matrix of ghc versions now. But it is still a no zero cost on
maintainers.