Potential space leak in transpose

Donnacha Oisín Kidney mail at doisinkidney.com
Fri May 15 00:56:03 UTC 2020

How about the following variant?

    transpose = takeWhile (not . null) . foldr (foldr f id) (repeat [])
      where
        f x xs ~(y:ys) = (x:y) : xs ys

Although I don’t really understand the memory leak situation, I think you might be able to get the pair behaviour with a stream type:

    data Stream a = a :< Stream a

    streamToList :: Stream [a] -> [[a]]
    streamToList ([] :< _ ) = []
    streamToList (x  :< xs) = x : streamToList xs

    transpose = streamToList . foldr (foldr f id) (fix ([] :<))
      where
        f x xs ~(y :< ys) = (x:y) :< xs ys

And you could turn the streamToList function into a good producer like so:

    streamToList :: Stream [a] -> [[a]]
    streamToList xs =
      build (\c n ->
        let go ([] :< _ ) = n
            go (x  :< xs) = c x (go xs)
        in go xs)

The other advantage of this of course is that transpose becomes a good consumer.