Adding new contructors to IOMode to support "don't overwrite if already exists" behavior

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:15:24 UTC 2020

One really important question is what modes are actually promised by actual
file systems on every posix or otherwise supported platforms .  Table
stakes is code should work well on every tier 1 platform and tier 2 as well

And it’s been pointed out to me that this is part of the Haskell report so
whatever final design is done needs to be excellent

Meta aside : on and off I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if
file systems weren’t stuck in posix minima tar pits (heck an Mvcc with
transactions file system would rock).  But that’s unrelated to improving
the world we have. Do either way this at least starts a discussion about
what we can do better today !

Pardon the slow reply, I think everyone everywhere is having a very strange
start to spring.

Be well and look forward to improving bits and pieces of how we deal with
files on computers ;)

-Carter