Should primMonad class live in base or mtl?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:03:13 UTC 2020

I'm opposed to moving it to base. This locks in base to GHC's fundamentally
broken model of IO (in terms of functions passing state tokens) and also
ties together the fundamentally different concepts of IO and ST. These
issues tend to crop up in strictness analysis, and GHC has to continually
tweak various internal hacks to keep users from noticing (most of the
time). Let's not make future Haskells make these same decisions.