Question about the portability of containers

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jun 8 09:16:48 UTC 2020

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020, Fumiaki Kinoshita wrote:

> Therefore I propose to revisit the policy for portability of core
> libraries. Portability is not a bad thing, but few people use
> other compilers these days. The drag is only likely to increase because
> there's no plan (AFAIK) for a new Haskell standard.

The problem is: The less portable libraries we have, the less useful is
any new compiler. I do not use any CPP for my libraries. I always use
Cabal flags to switch between two Hs-Source-Dirs containing different
implementations of some (not all) modules. This way, you could easily
switch to the portable implementation also for GHC.