deepseq: Add more instances. #50

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Jan 15 07:55:16 UTC 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, chessai . wrote:

> David put my thoughts pretty clearly: is it more useful or more
> confusing? I am also leaning toward more confusing. Hopefully more can
> weigh in on this.

I also think NFData instances for reference types are more dangerous than
helpful. Since laziness and strictness account for subtle programming
mistakes, it is better if GHC tells you that 'rnf tvar' does possibly not
perform what you expect. I'd even consider to add an instance with a type
error message to show the user that this instance has been omitted by
intention.