deepseq: Add more instances. #50

Travis Whitaker pi.boy.travis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 03:02:57 UTC 2020

Thanks for your email, David.

The NFData class is an important part of a large number of APIs on Hackage.
According to https://packdeps.haskellers.com/reverse, the deepseq package
has over 1,200 dependent packages. In my own case, I work with a lot of
record types with ForeignPtr fields. If I want to, say, use one of these
types as part of a Criterion environment for a benchmark, I will need an
NFData instance (
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/criterion-1.5.6.1/docs/Criterion.html#v:env
).

One might argue that any potentially confusing NFData instances should be
written out by hand. Maybe that's right, but now we're drifting into the
same territory as discussions about Foldable (,a). I've never needed to
take the length of a tuple, but the Foldable (,a) instance is lawful, so we
have it in base and I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere is
thankful for that instance.

Travis