Proposal for containers: Add 'pop' function to Data.Map

Philip Hazelden philip.hazelden at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:58:21 UTC 2020

Hm. I note that with `minView` and `uncons`, moving the Maybe to the inside
doesn't increase the space of return values. That is, any input that gives
`Nothing` now would give `(Nothing, empty)` if Maybe was on the inside.
That's not true of this function; if the key isn't found, that doesn't tell
us what is in the map. Of course it tells us that the second part of the
return value is the same as the input map, but that feels not super-close
to "the second part of the return value is this one specific value".

And, my sense is that having Maybe on the inside would be more often what
people would want to use. Like... if you don't care what the
map-without-this-element looks like, you'd just use lookup. So clearly the
caller of this function is going to use it in some cases.
Maybe-on-the-outside is fine if you'll use it "only if the element was
already there", but seems likely awkward otherwise.

So I'd argue for keeping the Maybe on the inside.