Proposal for containers: Add 'pop' function to Data.Map

Simon Jakobi simon.jakobi at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:41:06 UTC 2020

Regarding the type signature:

pop :: Ord k => k -> Map k a -> (Maybe a, Map k a)

I think it might be better to be consistent with similar functions like

minView :: Map k a -> Maybe (a, Map k a)

and

uncons :: [a] -> Maybe (a, [a])

Therefore the type should be

pop :: Ord k => k -> Map k a -> Maybe (a, Map k a)

---

I like the "pop" name though – I think the analogy to stacks is pretty obvious.

---

Like Andreas Abel I believe, that if there is a good, simple
implementation, it might be a good first step to simply document the
implementation as an example.

If there's much demand for exporting the function or if a fast
implementation is more complex, we can still enhance the API later on.