Proposal for containers: Add 'pop' function to Data.Map

Philip Hazelden philip.hazelden at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 19:05:55 UTC 2020

I don't love `extract`, myself. I can see the motivation - extracting
something generally means removing it without destroying it. But I worry
that that's not salient enough to make the meaning clear. I dunno, maybe
it's just that Data.Map already has "update", "alter" and "adjust", and I
have no idea which is which - I don't think extract would be as bad as
those, but it feels like in the same direction.

For the Maybe version, I'd suggest `deleteLookup`. Or at least something
with both those words, but this combination seems to be what I'd expect
given the existing `splitLookup`, `deleteFindMin` and `deleteFindMax`.
"delete" seems to be the standard "remove something from the map" - the
word "remove" isn't yet used, so I don't see any reason to introduce it.
And "lookup" seems to be the standard name for "look something up using
Maybe in case it's not there". (By contrast, "find" seems to be the
standard name for "look something up and error if it's not there".)

For the default version, the only existing function I can see that takes a
default is `findWithDefault`. (And this is the only use of "find" in the
name of a function that doesn't error.) `deleteFindWithDefault` is a
handful, but it would still be my suggestion.