Stop the deprecation of Data.Monoid.{First,Last}

Simon Jakobi simon.jakobi at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 25 18:40:17 UTC 2020

A deprecation would need a viable migration path. I don't have one,
and I don't want to invest more time into this right now.

I think we should refrain from anticipating a future deprecation since
that seems to cause library authors not to provide instances for these
types:

https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/g3glwn/migration_path_for_last_c/fnrfzf1/

Am Sa., 25. Apr. 2020 um 19:15 Uhr schrieb Carter Schonwald
<carter.schonwald at gmail.com>:

> or ... are we merely slowing down the deprecation path? are there technical reasons aside from paucity of effort for eventual removal?
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> it might be good to add some remark that the semigroup version is *more* strict/the moniod version is *less* strict?
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:57 AM Simon Jakobi via Libraries <libraries at haskell.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)
>>>
>>> Since option (C) received the most support, I opened an MR to implement it:
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/merge_requests/3154
>>>
>>> Once it is merged, I will make an announcement of this change, as
>>> requested on r/haskell:
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/g3glwn/migration_path_for_last_c/fnrfzf1/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Simon