Improving the instances of Data.Functor.{Product,Sum}

John Ericson john.ericson at obsidian.systems
Sat Apr 18 18:47:33 UTC 2020

Big +1 to fixing these issues.

https://github.com/phadej/some/pull/21 is a PR I'd like to see merged,
but which cannot build because of base shunning flexible instances. We
at Obsidian frequently use `Sum` and `Product` (or when it usually fails
their `Data.Generic` equivalents, `:+:` and `:*:`) with GADTs that are
*not* functors, and anything but the `Flexible*` instances  prevents
that. (Yup, `QuantifiedConstraints` instead of *1 is also no good.)

Do note that none of specific problems with `Flexible*` raised in this
seem to apply in this case (no multi-param type class, no missing `~`,
etc.), only the general wariness. As mentioned, the `Data.Generics` ones
get it the way I want, and I do try to use them accordingly, but if we
can be "right" there why can't we be right here? (And wouldn't it be
nice of one was a newtype or alias of the other...)

If we can all do that, secondarily I would actually like to *keep* the
*1 classes, but give them `QuantifiedConstraints` super-classes:

 > (forall a. Eq (f a)) => Eq1 f

It doesn't look like this has been brought up yet, but the idea is that
one implements a *1 class because of the extra power that the lift*
methods provide----the functionality on the type parameter need not be
canonical---not as a crude hack around the lack of `QuantifiedConstraints`.

I would also advocate writing a `Lift1` for this reason: "shallowly
quoting" a functor of syntax (i.e. `liftLift id`) is quite useful and
very much in the spirit of the lisp quasi-quoting that our quoting and
splicing is based one.

Finally, while the change is breaking, no CPP should be needed and there
is less room for user-error as the new quantified constraint super
classes forces anything which used the old instances to also support the
new instances---you can unthinkingly fix the the type errors and end up
with the right instances for old and new base.

John

P.S. Maybe one might argue that the the new ret-conned use for the *1
classes is much more niche so they belong outside of base. I always like
anything to do with breaking up base, so that's fine with me too. Just
don't say they are altogether useless because of `QuantifiedConstraints`.