Proposal: Add cons function to Data.List module

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 15:13:21 UTC 2019

I think Michael Snoyman did a good job of starting that conversation with
his IsSequence class in mono-traversable. I don't agree with a lot of the
specific design decisions he's made, but I think we should definitely think
about previous experience in that space.

Personally, I prefer an MPTC-based interface for the monomorphic stuff.
This is mostly a matter of taste, of course. One important idea, of course,
is that of a free monoid:

type family Elem xs

class e ~ Elem c => MonoFoldable e c where
  mfoldMap :: Monoid m => (e -> m) -> c -> m

class (MonoFoldable e c, Monoid c) => MonoSequence e c where
  mSingleton :: e -> c
  -- All other methods can be optional

class (forall e. Monoid (t e)) => Monoid1 t
instance (forall e. Monoid (t e)) => Monoid1 t

class (Traversable t, Monoid1 t) => Sequence t where
  singleton :: e -> t e