Proposal: add `on` to the Prelude

Elliot Cameron eacameron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 13:00:24 UTC 2019

Perhaps this question should be answered: What is the guiding principle for
Prelude? Why does it exist?

This is probably the most contentious module in all of Haskell's ecosystem.
Everyone wants to vie for their definition of "idiomatic" and getting
something into Prelude is how you "win". But we all already have things in
Prelude we don't like... Like head... How did that get in there? I'm sure
many of us would love to go back and remove it. But once something is in
Prelude it's "idiomatic" so becomes extremely hard to remove.

So, What guides Prelude? Why does Prelude exist?

If there's an answer to that in the report or something, I sense it would
make these discussions so much simpler. If there is no answer then there is
no metric by which to judge any comment in this thread.