Proposal: Add singleton function to Data.List module

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 05:58:55 UTC 2019

To grant some insight into what is going on behind closed doors. I figured
I'd unpack a bit of it here.

The current resolution is to treat this as step one in a longer maneuver.

*We'll be adding *singleton* to *Data.List*, immediately.*

The headache has really been the issue mentioned above wherein Data.List
has historically been treated as an unqualified export that shouldn't clash
with the Prelude in any way.

This is mostly a historical accident and doesn't really match up with the
way any of the other "container" like modules are expected to be used. It
has led to the somewhat messy state of dozens of other combinators in Data.List
such as foldr having to be generalized by the Foldable/Traversable Proposal
and other language warts starting to accumulate over time. It is
disproportionately difficult to add things to Data.List, so we're going to
fix that. -- We'd intended to fix that wart since GHC 7.10, but lacked a
sufficient forcing function. Expanding the API of Data.List is acting as
that forcing function.

*We are going to be switching the usage pattern for *Data.List* to expect a
qualified or explicit import list like *Data.Text, Data.ByteString, Data.Set
,* etc.*

This also helps allow for easier expansion of Data.List, which has been
pretty stagnant other than a non-report-specified uncons slipping in
stealthily in GHC 7.10.

It also helps ameliorate any long term concerns with this taking a name, as
it is now something placed in a module where name collisions are okay, as
usage is qualified or explicit. Meanwhile, Ryan GL Scott managed to
accumulate enough data to show that breakage this one combinator would
introduce was pretty minor after all, so we're going to go ahead with
adding singleton before the rest of this happens.

To get *there*, we'll need a slightly longer timeline, and some support
from GHC HQ to craft an appropriate warning. This will allow us to
monomorphize the combinators in Data.List yielding a sane ending state that
doesn't require a PhD in the History of Haskell to fully understand, and
we'll be able to retire GHC.OldList once an appropriate 3-release policy
compatible migration plan has been fully hammered out.

Normally, I'd wait until we had a full plan with all the migration issues
posted rather than shooting off half-cocked like this, but I wanted to be
clear about what was causing the communication delay.

-Edward