Add Data.Foldable1 to base

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:52:10 UTC 2019

The question of "Is Semifoldable an appropriate name for Foldable1" has
come up before on semigroupoids issue #26 [1]. This was Edward's commentary
there:

> I don’t have a particular problem with the Semi prefix on Foldable and
Traversable. Intuitively, Monoid/Applicative give you tools for
construction. Foldable/Traversable give you tools for consumption using
those tools. The variance is flipped so the inheritance relation also flips.

I'm not well-versed in any kind of graduate-level mathematics, so I have no
idea whether or not Keith or Edward's argument makes more sense. I just
wanted to include this in the discussion so that people could respond to it
here.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 5:07 PM Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is a well articulated set of points.
>
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 3:31 PM Georgi Lyubenov <godzbanebane at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 for the "not calling it Semifoldable"
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 9:34 PM Henning Thielemann <
>> lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

>>> me too

-Andrew Thaddeus Martin