request: a Nat ordering constraint that is not an equality constraint

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:18:38 UTC 2019

Yep, agreed. Totally practical.

FYI: my code base at work seems quite happy with the IsTrue approach; a
very happy simplification! Like so:

```
class IsTrue
  (msg :: ErrorMessage) (b :: Bool) where
  isTrue :: Proxy# msg -> b :~: 'True

instance IsTrue msg 'True where
  isTrue = \_ -> Refl

instance TypeError msg => IsTrue msg 'False
  isTrue = \_ -> error "impossible"

type (<=) n m = IsTrue (Msg n m) (n GHC.TypeLits.<=? m)

type Msg (n :: Nat) (m :: Nat) =
    'ShowType n
  ':<>:
    'Text " is not <= "
  ':<>:
    'ShowType m
```

(An `absurd` for TypeError might be nice?

Via isTrue, I can explicitly convert between the two <= constraints
wherever I need to. Which I could use to explicitly manage those
hypothetical hypotheticals we were discussing.

Just to spell it out: the SMT solver would indeed supercede TcTypeNats, but
TcTypeNats in turn already supercedes the IsTrue-based encoding. So I've
already lost some <= deductions. But my work code doesn't use any of them
in this middle ground -- they're all simple enough that IsTrue works as-is
or complicated enough that TcTypeNats didn't work already (I'm grumpily
writing and invoking Trusted Code Base "axia" in those cases -- I'm
avoiding plugin dependencies at work for now.)