lazier writer monad

Eric Mertens emertens at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 21:19:42 UTC 2019

Hi,

I think we should update the Applicative and Monad instances to document their strictness behaviors instead.

For code that relies on a particular strictness behavior I would recommend sticking with one of the modules in the transformers package: Control.Monad.Trans.Writer.Strict and Control.Monad.Trans.Writer.Lazy

As far as I can tell the current state of the PR updates the Applicative instance but not the Monad instance. Should this PR actually advance we should address that.

I agree that there are compositionally benefits to code that is as lazy as possible, however there are also space leak costs to that kind of code as well. I don’t think a simple rule like “as lazy as possible is best” is a good guiding principle. Changing the behavior now would just make the instance quite challenging to use portably and doesn’t make the instance more correct, just different.

Having a magic rule that datatypes with a single constructor match differently from datatypes with multiple constructors sounds like a readability nightmare. It’s already challenging to reason about the strictness behavior of programs. Making it harder like this would be a mistake. In addition adding or removing constructors from a datatype would have significant, non-local strictness effects to an existing program.

(The PR mentions something about Dependent Haskell and testing. Dependent Haskell isn’t going to replace testing and it isn’t going to make strictness easy to reason about.)

Best regards,
Eric Mertens
glguy