Data.Graph transitive closure

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 17:38:04 UTC 2019

I have been bit before by Data.Graph... I think it's that since it's a
type synonym, it inherits Eq from Array, but it doesn't have a
normalized form, so Eq is misleading in that topologically equal
graphs are not Eq... something like that.  And it can't be fixed
because it's just a type synonym over Array.  That's probably the "no
attempt to add abstraction barriers" alluded to above.  But the reason
I used it in the first place was I wanted a graph, and behold there is
Data.Graph already installed.  So it's presence in containers gives it
the impression of authority, but it's definitely not as well developed
as the other types in containers.

Since it seems like it can't be moved or made into a proper type
without breaking things, we could at least have some caveats in the
documentation, saying what it's appropriate for and what it's not.
And maybe warning about that Eq thing.  So I guess I'm seconding the
"just add documentation" suggestion.

Also while I'm here it's weird and confusing how it silently
re-exports Data.Tree...