Proposal: Make Semigroup and Monoid instances for Data.Functor.Compose

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 17:11:57 UTC 2019

I'm do not believe that that the FlexibleContexts-based instance is the
best available option. The available options are:

    instance Semigroup (f (g a)) => Semigroup (Compose f g a) --
FlexibleContexts
    OR
    instance (forall x. Semigroup x => Semigroup (f x), forall x. Semigroup
x => Semigroup (g x), Semigroup a) => Semigroup (Compose f g a) --
QuantifiedConstraints

There is a third option available which is to add Semigroup1 and Monoid1
typeclasses, but since the QuantifiedConstraints extension obsoletes such
boilerplate, this option is not be considered here. David Feuer has pointed
out in another thread that this context is satisfied by strictly more types
than the context on the QuantifiedContstraints-based instance. However, I
argue that the cost of this flexibility is composition. That is, the
context does not break down into smaller contexts that can be satisfied
individually. By constrast, the QuantifiedConstraints-based instance offers
a context comprised of three distinct constraints. This is the same
strategy employed by the Eq, Ord, Show, and Read instances. That is to say
that the QuantifiedConstraints-based instances is consistent in spirit with
the existing instances. And as the the Eq1/Ord1/...-based instances for
Compose enable reasoning compositionally about constraints, so does
QuantifiedConstraints-based Semigroup instance. Consider this contrived
example that illustrates the principle:

foo :: ??? => Compose IO Maybe a -> Compose IO Maybe a -> Compose IO Maybe a
foo = (<>)

What context should fill in the question marks? With the
QuantifiedConstraints-based instance, we would write `Semigroup a` (since
the other two constraints are satisfied), but with the
FlexibleContexts-based instance, we would write `Semigroup (IO (Maybe a))`.
Bummer. I've encountered real scenarios where this is actually a problem
although it would be tedious to explain them here. I'm happy to hear
differing opinions or agreement. One way or another, we really ought to add
something.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM Ryan Scott <ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may find the discussion at
> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2018-February/028571.html
> interesting. The summarized version of that post is that
> Data.Functor.Compose was originally brought over from the transformers
> library, which adheres to a very Haskell98 mindset in its design. In
> particular, the maintainer of transformers would likely not have added
> the Semigroup or Monoid instances you propose, since they require the
> FlexibleContexts language extension. This explains why there exists an
> `instance (Eq1 f, Eq1 g, Eq a) => Eq (Compose f g a)` and not an
> `instance Eq (f (g a)) => Eq (Compose f g a)`, among other things.
>
> Of course, Data.Functor.Compose now lives in the base library, not
> transformers, so we need not prescribe to the same design philosophy.
> I don't feel too strongly about the issue, so if other people feel
> like adding Semigroup/Monoid instances that require FlexibleContexts
> is a good idea, I could get on board with that. What do others think?
>
> Ryan S.

-Andrew Thaddeus Martin