qualified exports , what would that mean Re: Add

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Feb 22 08:30:23 UTC 2019

I believe you are in luck. Since 7.8.1, GHC supports "unidirectional pattern synonyms

Yes, but a pattern synonym is a bit of heavyweight way to expose a data constructor for pattern matching but not for construction.  The latter seems simpler somehow.  I’ve wanted this too.

And yet, and yet, it’s one more piece of complexity, at least the export list (and maybe an import list too!).

And someone is sure to want to export it for construction but not pattern matching :-).  For that we routinely make a term-level function for construction and don’t export the constructor at all.  The pattern synonym is the natural dual of this.

TL;DR: you can do both today but you have to write some boilerplate. Whether it’s worth abbreviating I’m not sure.

Simon