Add 'e' to Floating typeclass

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:42:20 UTC 2019

I think Carter outlined really good reasons for not including `e`; but it's
hard not to sympathize with the request. I often felt shy of adding similar
definitions in my libraries for fear that they would pollute the name
space. But their absence is rather annoying. The classic solution is to put
it in a library, internal module etc, and make a new class if necessary;
which is often overkill and misses the simplicity sought in the first place.

I often wonder if Haskell can have a "qualified export" feature for these
cases. Just like we can "import qualified," why not "export qualified" some
names, which means if you simply import the module the name will still be
available qualified. (You can of course always import qualified.)

I haven't thought too much about the implications of this, but it might be
an easy solution to this problem. Would love to hear thoughts on this; is
there any language that has this feature? How costly would it be to add it
to GHC?