Add Ord Laws to next Haskell Report

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie
Thu Feb 7 16:48:49 UTC 2019

Given that   compare :: ... -> Ordering  and  Ordering = LT | EQ | GT,
then the current Ord class has to support *total* orders, as there is no way to indicate when two elements are incomparable.

Imagine trying to define the obvious partial ordering on sets - i.e. subset-or-equal using the Ord class.
What should be the result, for Instance Ord (Set Int) of

compare (fromList [1]) (fromList [2])    or  fromList [2] <= fromList [1] ?

Cheers, Andrew

> On 7 Feb 2019, at 16:21, Elliot Cameron <eacameron at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While I'm sure it would be a lot of churn, couldn't we introduce a `TotalOrd` class and guard it more carefully?
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 10:45 AM Merijn Verstraaten <merijn at inconsistent.nl <mailto:merijn at inconsistent.nl>> wrote:
> I was discussing this with Carter on IRC, so to chime in with my two cents:
>
> I think the default behaviour for Float/Double should use a trapping NaN. The current value NaN is as if every Double value has an implicit "fromJust" and finding out which part of larger computations/pipelines introduced the NaNs in your output is a pain.
>
> Trapping NaN would also eliminate the brokenness of Ord. If some people are really attached to value NaNs (why?!? What's wrong with you?) we could allow disabling trapping at compile or runtime so they get the old behaviour.
>
> Cheers,
> Merijn
>
> > On 7 Feb 2019, at 03:43, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com <mailto:carter.schonwald at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > We cant add laws at the moment unless we change how the Ord instances for Float and Double are defined. (which i think SHOULd happen, but needs some care and has lots of implications)
> >
> > there are several possible semantics we can choose that act as we expect on +/- infity and finite floats, but differ in the handling of nans
> >
> > option 1)  use the total order defined in floating point standard 2008, section 5.10, which defines negative nans below -infity, positive nans above +infty
> > (this has the nice property that you could check for  not nan by   -infty <= x && x <= infty)
> >
> > option 2)  shift haskell/ GHC to having signalling NAN semantics by default, so the only "fully evaluated" floating point values are in the interval from negative to positive infinity ,
> >
> > option 3) some mixture of the above
> >
> > I am slowly doing some patches to improve floating point bits in ghc (and pave the way towards doing something like one of the above), though theres still much to do
> >
> > also: the current definitions of min/max via compare aren't commutative if either argument is nan (they become right biased or left biased, i forget which)
> >
> > http://www.dsc.ufcg.edu.br/~cnum/modulos/Modulo2/IEEE754_2008.pdf <http://www.dsc.ufcg.edu.br/~cnum/modulos/Modulo2/IEEE754_2008.pdf> is a copy of ieee floating point 2008 (easy to google up a copy if that link doesnt work)
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 4:31 PM chessai . <chessai1996 at gmail.com <mailto:chessai1996 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Sure. There are no explicit mention of the laws of Ord. I think they
> > should be explicitly stated in the report, perhaps like so:
> >
> > ---------- start proposed change
> > class  (Eq a) => Ord a  where
> >     compare              :: a -> a -> Ordering
> >     max, min             :: a -> a -> a
> >
> >     compare x y = if x == y then EQ
> >                   else if x <= y then LT
> [...]

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero at TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                         http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/