haskell/bytestring stalled?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 09:40:13 UTC 2019

Hello Fumiaki,

Bytestring is a fundamental library which is used by almost everyone, so
its goal is first and foremost to be stable and reliable; hence its
maintenance is generally very conservative and slow-paced; it's better this
way than to risk introducing regressions. But also, 6 months without
visible feedback for a library that's generally considered mature isn't
something to be alarmed about either. I for one cycle through the projects
I maintain when time permits (usually on weekends) and try to reduce the
context switches by working for several hours on a single project,
eventually resulting in a new release. This batched mode of operation also
means that it takes some time to complete an orbit around all projects and
I don't consider this a bad thing; In fact, I don't subscribe to the
release early and often poorly paradigm anymore after having exercised it
myself as producer as well as experienced it as consumer for a couple
decades and I've been burned too many time by careless rushed releases
(both by myself as well as others). Maybe I'm just getting older and wiser.

That being said, if you or others want to help out with projects I
(co)maintain such as `bytestring`, please get into contact with me. There
are things you can do to help with the review of PRs and other tasks that
benefit from as many hands or eyes as possible and which would reduce the
workload during the focused batch-phase when the careful dedicated release
processes is initiated.

-- Herbert