[core libraries] Adding Backwards to base, re-export from Control.Applicative

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 17:43:17 UTC 2019

I’m a strong +1 on moving Backwards and Reverse to base. This is basically free for everybody for a nice consistency win.

I’m -1 on exporting them from Control.Applicative. That module is imported unqualified by a significant cross section of the Haskell ecosystem, so this just gratuitously introduces risk of name conflicts for little tangible benefit. In the presence of possible conflicts there I’d err on the side of the status quo over change for change’s sake.

The only real precedent for doing so is that Control.Applicative also gratuitously exports Const, which is more historical accident than precedent to follow.

-Edward