Proposal: Add singleton function to Data.List module

Elliot Cameron eacameron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 12:11:21 UTC 2019

We also use the money face regularly in our code bases, but I think it's
only because the singleton function for lists is not already defined. Every
time I see/use it I wince a little.

Some devs I know will go to lengths to avoid an extra import line. So you
often see 'maybe x id' instead of 'fromMaybe x' and 'flip traverse' instead
of 'for'.

No other containers are in Prelude and must have their APIs imported
qualified. So they don't suffer from this bias against imports.

In any code base the defines it's own idioms, like singleton on lists, you
have to imagine that what's obviously on Hackage and what is proprietary
will not get the same level of commitment.

P.S. Based on arguments against non-fundanental combinators, I suppose we
should remove 'fromMaybe' and 'for' since they are not fundamental?

This debate is definitely more ideological than I think anyone quite
realized at first. At the very least, having the CLC's position clearly
documented might help in the future.