Proposal: Add singleton function to Data.List module

Helmut Schmidt helmut.schmidt.4711 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 17:40:33 UTC 2019

Am So., 18. Aug. 2019 um 17:17 Uhr schrieb Oliver Charles <
ollie at ocharles.org.uk>:

> On Sun, 18 Aug 2019, 5:47 pm Helmut Schmidt, <
> helmut.schmidt.4711 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> All these philosophical arguments calling for "consistency" with the
>> container APIs or that function need words for the human mind to comprehend
>> seem short-sighted to me. If we were consistent about the proposal itself
>> we'd also demand to add
>>
>>   cons = (:)
>>
>>   empty = []
>>
>>   toList = id
>>
>>   fromList = id
>>

> I honestly have no problem with any of these.

I forgot

    append = (++)

We also need to address another elephant in the room... those pesky tuples
and their special privileged non-wordy syntax!

   pair = (,)

   triple = (,,)

   quadruple = (,,,)

   quituple = (,,,,)

   sextuple = (,,,,,)

   septuble = (,,,,,,)

   octuple = (,,,,,,,)

If Haskell were invented in this century's EU Haskell source code would be
littered with €s instead of $s but then again I wonder why £ wasn't picked.
But I digress. We can kill two birds with one stone here:

   apply = ($)

   strictApply = ($!)

   compose = (.)

It's fun to imagine how code using those definitions would like! But it's
still a -1 for me, sorry!