Data.Map.mapKeysMonotonic is a misleading name

Andreas Abel andreas.abel at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Apr 4 19:57:48 UTC 2019

Elliot,

Maybe as a German I do not stumble over that use of "monotonic" in the
same way as you might.  In German, we have

   <= monoton steigend
   >= monoton fallend
   <  streng monoton steigend
   >  streng monoton fallend

Thus, "monoton" by itself is not a precise notion, but refers to the
family of these concepts (although it is a bit sloppily often used for
"monoton steigend").  The German precise name of mapKeysMonotonic would be

   transformiereSchlüsselStrengMonotonSteigend

and you can see that using fully precise names get you nowhere in my
context. :D

However, my question still stands what else than "strictly increasing"
could be meant in "mapKeysMonotonic"?  If it is not an injective
function you pass to it, then what can be the advantage over the general
"mapKeysWith"?  And how likely is the case that a
"mapKeysNonStrictlyIncreasing" would be preferable over "mapKeysWith",
justifying the extra implementation of a "mapKeysNonStrictlyIncreasing"?

Cheers,
Andreas