Add missing Monad/Traversable instances to tuples

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:40:12 UTC 2019

For all the reasons in the old thread -1 from me.

To repeat the main reason: this change introduces bugs into programs
which are very hard to detect.

The main benefit I can see is the small amount of convenience for a
few people, as the expense of potential bugs for any user who returns
multiple values from a function.

If you want to traverse or fold a contain with one element and two
additional data parameters then it is simple to define a newtype for
this purpose which can be `coerce`ed to for no cost.

newtype Data3 a b c = Data3 (a, b, c)

The argument about "adding all unambiguous instances" is not well
motivated or adhered to, for example, there is no Num instance for
functions.

Cheers,

Matt