Remove Semigroup and Monoid instances for Either

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Thu May 24 14:48:40 UTC 2018

There's a project at work that a colleague and I worked on where we both
assumed that the Monoid instance for Either would behave like the one I
proposed, and then it didn't. There's also someone on reddit (
https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/8lbzan/semigroup_maybe_too_strict/dzhwzjs/)
would wrote:

> There is a bug somewhere anyway as instances for Either () a and Maybe a
really should match, but I'm no longer sure that the bug is in the Maybe
instance rather than the Either () a one.

Those are my two data points. It's small, but I wanted to gauge what others
thought.

I'm familiar with the discussion around the Semigroup/Monoid instance for
Map. There was no general consensus on whether or not there should be a
gap, and I fall pretty strongly on the other side of the fence for reasons
that are listed elsewhere in that thread. In the case of the
Semigroup/Monoid instances for Either, I don't really care as much since
the current instances have such little utility that I've never even seen
anyone use them in the wild.

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvriedel at gmail.com

--
-Andrew Thaddeus Martin