Proposal: Continue the displayException program

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu May 10 01:11:48 UTC 2018

Several years ago, Michael Snoyman proposed [*] that we add a
displayException method to the Exception class, and that we make GHC use it
in the default handler. The first part of that proposal was accepted and
implemented, but the second part was not, for reasons that are not very
clear to me. I would like to re-propose that we change the default
exception handler to use displayException instead of Show. This seems like
a much better default, and anyone who wants to do it the old way can still
change the top-level handler.

[*] https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2014-November/024176.html