Proposal: Remove the bogus MonadFail instance for ST

Jon Purdy evincarofautumn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 06:36:16 UTC 2018

Just to add a couple cents, my informal intuition for “fail” is that I
should be able to use it to “filter” things in do-notation or a monad
comprehension:

[x | Right x <- [Right "a", Right "b", Left 3]] :: [String]
[x | Right x <- Data.Vector.fromList [Right "a", Right "b", Left 3]] ::
Vector String
[x | Right x <- Just (Left 3)] :: Maybe String

The old “fail” implementation for Data.Vector used to throw an exception,
and I nudged Bryan to accept a PR making it return an empty vector, so I
could use monad comprehensions for vectors with the same expectations as
list comprehensions. That does suggest MonadPlus as the “real” source of
the semantics I want.

But there just isn’t always a well-defined thing you can do within a given
monad with only the type of “fail”.

The fact that it raises an exception for IO is fine by me, because at least
it can be caught in IO. On the other hand, I’d look at any code that
actually catches pattern-match failure exceptions as pretty smelly. Still,
in that context, to me the ideal solution is to also throw an exception in
ST, as long as some mechanism exists for safely throwing and catching
exceptions in ST. (I don’t know how hard that would be to add.)