What stops Data.Foldable from having foldl1'?

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 17:08:59 UTC 2018

I think that introducing foldl1' would be a step in the wrong direction.
It's unfortunate that Foldable was brought into base with the partial
functions foldl1, foldr1, maximum, and minimum. If anything, I would argue
that we should try to relegate them to
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/semigroupoids-5.2.2/docs/Data-Semigroup-Foldable.html
where they belong.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 11:30 AM, sonne <kindaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good evening.
>
> I notice Data.Foldable ain't got no `foldl1'`, while `foldl'` and
> `foldl1` are both there. Is there a reason? What will it take to have
> it introduced?
>
> I refer to this specific version, which is to my understanding the
> latest to have been released:
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.10.1.0/docs/Data-Foldable.html
>
> Thank you.

-Andrew Thaddeus Martin