Crazy suggestion for dealing with the naming disaster that is ByteString

Lana Black lanablack at amok.cc
Sun Jan 28 15:12:50 UTC 2018

On 28/01/18 13:51, Christopher Allen wrote:
> I’d love this as I am getting tired of explaining “it’s a string of bytes, not a string-as-in-text.”

B-b-but bytestring is a string-as-in-text too among other things.
Otherwise we wouldn't have `instance IsString ByteString' or
Data.ByteString.Char8 module.

I like the idea, but is it worth the hassle? Perhaps, as a start,
someone could make "bytes" as a shim package with `type Bytes =
ByteString' and all related functions re-exported, just to see how it
goes. If the adoption rate turns out to be significant, bytes and
bytestring packages could be swapped.