TestEquality for references

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 05:22:07 UTC 2018

I could live with that solution pretty well. Getting the default
implementation would be a very nice bonus, as in most cases it is quite
repetitive.

Observation: In the second scenario is it really that exporting Coercion
actually dangerous?

Not in the sense that we should revisit the stance, but rather it seems
that the things it exports that can actually use Coercible to coerce that
are the problem point.

Without coerce or coerceWith, everything in Data.Type.Coercion seems
perfectly Trustworthy.

We should just be able to split off the Trustworthy parts of
Data.Type.Coercion via an Internal module and use them to put the
superclass in place. Even gcoerceWith requires you to have access to coerce
to do anything with it other than manipulate Coercible instances.

The whole module is currently unsafe because of *one* combinator in it.

GHC is even smart enough that you don't need `coerce` to implement sym,
trans, etc. so `coerce` and `coerceWith` aren't even used when implementing
the instances.

-Edward