Deprecate First and Last in Data.Monoid

Andrew Martin andrew.thaddeus at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:23:56 UTC 2018

I agree somewhat. In the last two years, I've gotten more into the habit
about being explicit with import lists for commonly-used modules like
Control.Monad, Control.Applicative, and Data.Monoid. This is especially the
case when I'm writing library code (that I expect that other people may
read one day), although I'm more lax in application code. Still, it's nice
to be able to fire up GHCi and do something like this without having to
worry about conflicting identifiers:

    >>> :m Data.Monoid Data.Semigroup

But yes, in theory, people should avoid this. In practice, they often don't.

--
-Andrew Thaddeus Martin