Proposal: add ordNub somewhere in containers

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 17:49:22 UTC 2017

I am convinced that we should add

ordNub :: Ord a => [a] -> [a]
ordNubOn :: Ord b => (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b]
intNub :: [Int] -> [Int]
intNubOn :: (a -> Int) -> [a] -> [a]

And because nub preserves non-emptiness, I believe we should also offer

ordNub1 :: Ord a => NonEmpty a -> NonEmpty a
ordNubOn1 :: Ord b => (a -> b) -> NonEmpty a -> NonEmpty a
intNub1 :: NonEmpty Int -> NonEmpty Int
intNubOn1 :: (a -> Int) -> NonEmpty a -> NonEmpty a

I imagine we should also add these operations for Data.Sequence.Seq.

I'm not yet convinced that we should add

ordNubBy :: (a -> a -> Ordering) -> [a] -> [a]

but I'm open to further discussion of that question. My main concern is
that the properties of the comparison argument require careful
documentation. In its favor, using it improperly cannot *expose* a broken
Set to later operations.

I would very much like to hear further bikeshedding around names and
namespaces.