Proposal: Taking over/up network maintainership

Merijn Verstraaten merijn at inconsistent.nl
Tue Oct 10 09:29:05 UTC 2017

Hi hackage admins & libraries@ readers,

So, to the best of my knowledge 'network' is currently maintained by libraries@/the community, which is code for "not maintained". I've previously entertained the thought of taking up maintainership, but so far was held back by the fact that I don't do windows dev experience. I've discussed this in #ghc before and the consensus was that *nix only maintenance is probably still better than no maintenance.

I was inspired to finally write this email and try to take up maintenance after spending all day yesterday tomorrow debugging an issue in my code, only to realise that Network.ByteString.Lazy.getContents will literally *always* crash/throw an exception when used.

My plans are to:
Short term: fix obvious errors like getContents, cut through the PR backlog on github to see what can be merged, what needs work, etc.

Medium term: Improve exception/error handling (network specific exception type that people can catch), better (async) exceptions safety guarantees/documentation of safety

Long term: I would like ditch the current (deprecated) high-level interface and replace it with modern high level API.

Now, the biggest problem is that I don't have experience developing on Windows and neither the time nor the motivation to get started with that, so I will need someone to take up co-maintainership of the windows parts (I'll probably send an email about this to -cafe if people are supportive of me taking up maintenance).

Cheers,
Merijn