Functor, Applicative, Monad, Foldable, Traversable instances for (, , ) a b

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Mar 31 09:39:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Sven Panne wrote:

> So a reluctant +1 for b), but only *after* we have a flag/pragma. A
> strong -1 for adding the instances before such a flag/pragma.

Generally we should first have a way to limit damage before adding more
type unsafety. Currently re-adding safety belts lags years behind
reduction of type safety.

Btw. the ticket is https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/11796

> Next battle: What will be the default for the flag/pragma? >:-)

I'd prefer that this warning is enabled by default. Next best solution is
to integrate the warning in Wall. There are people who even find that too
annoying.

Using the new selective conversion of warnings to errors we can also get
back type errors: